Frequently Asked Questions and Policies

Who can apply for Admission?

General Enrollment: Open to any person 18 years of age or older who can benefit from the instructional curriculum of the College.

High School Students: High school students currently enrolled in grades 9-12 may be eligible for advanced scholastic or vocational study courses that have been authorized on their High School Dual Enrollment Form. See the High School Concurrent Enrollment Program Guidelines page for more information.

International Students: International students with F-1 visas must follow special procedures outlined in the College Catalog and as regulated by their visa status. See the International Student Program for further information.

Immigrant Visa Resident: Immigrant visa residents must provide their assigned 'A-number'.

I want to get started at Santa Rosa Junior college. What is my first step?

Please refer to:

I’m ready to graduate and receive my Associate Degree. How do I get it?

The Associate in Arts and Associate in Science degrees can be earned at Santa Rosa Junior College. Requirements for graduation with an Associate’s Degree are prescribed by the California Community College System and the Board of Trustees of SRJC. It is the student’s responsibility to file an Application to Graduate by the deadline date during the semester in which he/she plans to complete the requirements. Official transcripts from all colleges previously attended should be submitted as part of the graduation evaluation process. Applicants will be notified of their eligibility for the degree. Commencement exercises for August and December graduates and candidates for May graduation are held on a Saturday morning at the close of the semester in May. The graduation date is recorded on the student’s permanent record at the end of the semester in which the requirements are met. Diplomas are mailed approximately four weeks later.

How do I apply for Non-Resident Tuition Exemption (AB540)?

For information concerning non-resident tuition exemption (AB540), please refer to:

How do I calculate my GPA?

GPA is computed by dividing the total units attempted (including units for courses repeated) into the total grade points. “P”, “NP”, “CR,” “NC,” “I,” and “W” are not included in the total course units attempted.

A 2.0 minimum grade point average (GPA) is required to be in good academic standing and for graduation. To keep track of GPA:

  1. Assign a numerical value to each grade received (A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0).
  2. Multiply the grade by the number of units of the class.
  3. Divide the total number of grade points by the total number of units attempted.


Course Units

Grade AND points completed

Units attempted x Grade Points Completed

Total Grade Points

3 units

B (three grade points)

(3 x 3 = 9)


3 units

C (two grade points)

(3 x 2 = 6)


1 unit

A (four grade points)

(1 x 4 = 4)


3 units

C (two grade points)

(3 x 2 = 6)


3 units

D (one grade point)

(3 x 1 = 3)


  • Units attempted: 13 TOTAL UNITS
  • Grade points: 28 TOTAL UNITS
  • Grade point average: 28 grade points divided by 13 units attempted = 2.15 GPA
How do I get Add Codes?

Once classes have closed, students may add a class on a space available basis. Student may go to the class and receive permission from the instructor to add the class. The instructor will give the student an add code that will allow the student to add the course in the Student Portal. Add codes can only be distributed by the instructor of the class. Wait listed students do not need an add code as they are already registered in the class as a wait list student and will advance if not dropped.

When does a class section that was previously open move to the status of requiring an instructor add code?
Once a class begins, if the class has ever been closed at any time, the class will be listed as needing an instructor add code to enroll regardless of how many seats may be remaining. Additionally, each class section has a listed deadline for adding with an instructor add code.


Can out of state students take online courses at SRJC?

For more information, please visit:

How do I add and drop classes?

Students must have a current application on file before they can add and drop courses.

Adding/dropping classes is not automatic and can be accomplished only in the Student Portal or through one of the Admissions and Records Offices.

Once classes have closed, students may add a class on a space available basis with an add code.

Dropping classes is always the student's responsibility. Failure to officially drop the class via the student portal or in person with the Admissions & Records Office may result in a debt and/or failing grade. Any student enrolled in a course who misses the first class meeting may be dropped from the course by the instructor. However, do not assume instructors will add or drop for students! It is ultimately the responsibility of the student to add or drop by the specified deadlines and keep a record of the transaction.

How do I audit a class?

In conformity with Education Code 76370, Santa Rosa Junior College has adopted a policy which permits the auditing of classes.

Attending classes with the intent to audit without registering as an auditor is not permitted. Students may audit certain selected classes (see the Auditable Courses list posted online on the Schedule of Classes page for a fee of $15.00 per unit plus any additional course costs. Students regularly enrolled in 10 or more units may audit up to 3 units free of charge.

The following conditions must be met to audit a class:

  1. Auditors must be eligible for admission to college as regularly enrolled students.
  2. Auditor status is allowed only if student has exhausted repeat possibilities as a regular student.
  3. Auditor must meet the course prerequisite.
  4. Instructor must sign the Audit Registration card (available at Admissions and Records) to show approval for the student to attend class as an auditor on a space available basis.
  5. Auditors will be allowed to register only after the First Census date of the class.
  6. Auditors may NOT attend or participate until official enrollment is secured after the First Census date of the class.
  7. Auditors may NOT change their status to regular student in the class (or reverse.
  8. Once the auditor fee is paid, it will not be refunded.
  9. No transcript of record will be maintained.
  10. Students registered as auditors only will not be entitled to the regular health services (other than emergencies.
Can "D" and F grades be alleviated from my GPA?

D" and "F" grades can be annotated, but not expunged, based on the academic renewal policy. The alleviation of previously recorded substandard (D and F only) academic performance completed at Santa Rosa Junior College that is not reflective of a student’s demonstrated ability will be considered upon submission of petition (Academic Renewal) by the student to the Admissions and Records Office.

Upon approval by the Director of Academic Records, the academic record of the student will be so annotated with appropriate adjustments made to the GPA and deletion of any units earned for petitioned courses. All previously recorded work, however, will remain legible, ensuring a true and complete academic history. Twenty-four units are the maximum amount of coursework to be adjusted. This policy is applicable in any of the following cases:

  1. Completion of at least 24 units with a “C” average in all coursework attempted subsequent to the semester of forgiven grades.
  2. The passage of two years since the substandard work was recorded (at end of semester.
  3. Demonstration that previously recorded work is not reflective of the student’s present abilities. Such demonstration might include, but is not be limited to, documented proof or experience, awards, degrees, and honors.
How do I pay debts owed?

Before registering for classes, students must clear any prior semester debts/payments to the College at the Accounting Office in Bailey Hall at the Santa Rosa Campus. You may also pay online in the Student Portal with a credit card.

How much does it cost to go to SRJC?

For a full explanation of enrollment fees, waivers, and exemptions, please refer to:

How do I participate in graduation?

To receive an Associate in Arts and/or an Associate in Science degree, a student is required to submit an Application to Graduate. This online petition should be submitted as soon as the student has registered for classes in the semester they intend to graduate.

Students are urged to consult a counselor with any questions regarding SRJC’s approved majors and degree requirements. All students must graduate with an approved major. Students transferring to a university are encouraged to complete an associate degree.

Official transcripts from all colleges previously attended should be submitted as part of the graduation review process. This process reviews course work completed a SRJC and, when applicable, applies transfer college course work to the SRJC associate degree and major requirements. Applicants will be notified of their eligibility for the degree.

How do High School Dual Enrollment Students enroll?

For High School Dual Enrollment, see High School Dual Enrollment Students Page.

How does the pass/no pass or grading option work?

Some courses are graded on a letter-grade only basis, and some are graded on Pass (P)/No Pass (NP) only basis. Please check individual course listings for grade options. Student may choose the P/NP option on their Student Portal or by submitting a P/NP card at one of the Admissions and Records Offices. The P/NP grading option must be selected prior to 30 percent of completing the class. Please refer to the deadline date for each class. The P/NP grade option replaces the CR/NC grade option effective Fall 2009. P/NP units are not counted in grade point average (GPA).

Per grading policy (3.10P): P/NP (Pass/No Pass) grade option is limited to 3 units per semester and subject to a maximum of 12 units for all semesters attended for those students with the following matriculation/education goals:

  1. Transfer to 4 year school with AA/AS
  2. Transfer to 4 year school without AA/AS
  3. Associate Degree, General Education
  4. Associate Degree, Vocational
  5. Vocational Certificate
  6. Improve basic skills in English, reading
  7. Undecided Goal

Courses in which only CR/NC or P/NP grades are assigned are exempt from the above restrictions. Students with matriculation/education goals listed below are not limited in the number of CR/NC or P/NP grades possible:

  1. Personal interest (not employment)
  2. Discover/formulate career interests
  3. Job skills-prepare for new job
  4. Job skills-to maintain or advance job
  5. Maintain certificate or license
  6. Complete credits for HS diploma or GED

Students shall be asked to declare their matriculation/education goals at the time of registration. Some transfer institutions limit the number of CR/NC or P/NP grades that they will accept.

What is my personal identification number (PIN)?

For added security, students may request a Personal Identification Number (PIN) in person at the Admissions and Records Office on the Santa Rosa or Petaluma campuses. Once a PIN has been established, students will need to provide their PIN when using the Student Portal or in-person enrollment services. For security reasons, if students forget their PIN, they will need to contact the Admissions and Records Office in-person on the Santa Rosa or Petaluma campuses in order to reset their pin code. Please be prepared to show photo identification.

How can I petition for waiver of college regulations?

A student may petition for various reasons by submitting an online petition form located under the "Petitions" heading at:  Students should carefully select the correct petition form according to their reason for petitioning.

How can I meet prerequisites?

The Santa Rosa Junior College registration system enforces all approved course prerequisites.

Students will not be allowed to enroll in a course for which there is a prerequisite if they have not completed the prerequisite course with a 'C' grade (or 'CR/P' grade) or better at Santa Rosa Junior College.

If students have completed the prerequisite at another institution or at SRJC prior to 1981, they must submit official transcripts and submit the Prerequisite Equivalency form online before registering. Official transcripts from transfer institutions must be submitted to A&R before prerequisite blocks are lifted.

If students have not met the prerequisite, but have documented experience, they may complete and submit Prerequisite/Corequisite Challenge Form.

The Prerequisite Challenge form should be turned in to one of the Admissions and Records Offices. For advice/questions, please call the Admissions and Records Office at (707) 527-4685 at the Santa Rosa Campus or (707) 778-2415 at the Petaluma Campus.

NOTE: The College has the authority to drop students from any course if prerequisites have not been met.

How do I get priority registration?

For information concerning priority registration, please refer to:

How do I repeat a course?

Effective summer 2012, SRJC implemented new regulations regarding limitations on course repetition and withdrawal in a single course. Students repeating a course, in which they previously received a substandard grade of D, F, NC, NP, and/or a W symbol are limited to three enrollments total. Students are advised to carefully choose their courses each term to ensure successful completion. These new regulations are retroactive to the fall 1981 semester; therefore, some students may find that they have already exhausted the repeat and withdrawal limitation of three enrollments. Students can view their records and their list of "unrepeatable courses" in their Student Portal. Students may complete a Petition for Course Repetition here:

What is a Student Identification Number (SID)?

SRJC has transitioned to using a Student Identification number (SID), replacing the use of a Social Security number as the primary identifier for students. SRJC will continue to collect Social Security numbers, as they are necessary for financial aid recipients, federal tax credits, and state data reporting. But only the new SID number will be printed on all SRJC documents and records.

How do I get transcripts?

Unofficial Transcript

To access your unofficial transcript, login to SRJC Student Portal using your Student ID number and Pin Code. If you don’t know your Student ID or Pin Code, click on either of the two links on the left hand side of the login page titled “I do not know my ID Number” or “I do not know my Pin Code” to retrieve this information. Once you have logged in to the Student Portal, click on the “View Grades” link on the left hand side of the screen. In the drop down menu that says “Please select a semester to view grades:” select “All Semesters”. To print your unofficial transcript, click on the print option in your internet browser.

Unofficial Transcripts are not available for records prior to Fall 1981. For records prior to Fall 1981, you will have to order an Official Transcript.

Transcript Requests (Outgoing)

Santa Rosa Junior College now works with the National Student Clearinghouse for SRJC official transcript orders.

Order Official Transcripts Online


What if I need to withdraw from a class?

It is always your responsibility to withdraw from a class if you are not going to attend or not able to complete the class. Students are encouraged to speak with the instructor and/or a counselor before they drop classes. To withdraw from a course, you must drop via your student portal using the same process as registering for classes. Print a copy of your new class schedule as proof that you completed the withdrawal process.

Withdrawal deadlines can be found by clicking on the “Dates” link in the online schedule of classes or in your class schedule found inside your student portal. There are separate deadlines for withdrawing with a “W” grade and withdrawing without a “W”. "W" grades are not used in computing a grade point average, but withdrawing from classes can affect you in other ways (scholarship, financial aid, progress probation, etc.). A counselor can help you decide if this is your best option.

How do I get on a wait list?

During priority registration and prior to the beginning date of the class, a number of enrollment slots beyond the maximum class size may be available on a 'Wait List' basis. Please note, not all classes will offer a wait list.

Wait-listed students are considered officially registered and must attend class through the second class meeting. It is the student's responsibility to be aware of his/her status in the class. Drops by other students will automatically advance a student's position on the wait list and enrollment may be secure by the time classes begin. If students enroll on a computerized wait list, they are expected to pay all appropriate fees and cannot enroll in classes that conflict in time nor can they enroll in another section of the same course for which they are on the wait list.

If final enrollment is not secured, students can apply fees to another class or receive a full refund.

Consider the advantages of enrolling in a section of a class at a less desirable time rather than enrolling on a wait list basis.

Wait listed students do not need an add code as they are already registered in the class as a wait list student and will advance if not dropped.

What is academic probation/progress probation?
  • Academic Probation
    A student who has attempted (CR/NC and P/NP grades are not counted) at least 12 semester units as shown by the official academic record shall be placed on academic probation if the student has earned a cumulative GPA between 1.00 and 1.99 in all units that were graded.
  • Progress Probation
    A student who has enrolled in a total of at least 12 semester units as shown by the official academic record shall be placed on progress probation when the percentage of all units in which a student has enrolled and for which entries of “W,” “I,” “NC,” and “NP” are recorded reaches or exceeds fifty percent (50%).
How do I get off of Academic/Progress Probation?
What is Academic Dismissal/Progress Dismissal?

For purposes of this section, semesters shall be considered consecutive on the basis of the student’s enrollment pattern rather than the calendar pattern. For example, if a student is enrolled in the fall, but not in the spring, and then again in the following fall, these are considered to be consecutive.

  • A student who earns a GPA of less than 1.00 for nine (9) or more units attempted during any given semester is subject to dismissal. A student who is on academic probation shall be subject to dismissal if the student earned a cumulative GPA of 1.99 or below in all units attempted in each of three consecutive semesters that were graded on the basis of the grading scale.
  • A student who has been placed on progress probation shall be subject to dismissal if the percentage of units in which the student has been enrolled for which entries of “W,” “I,” and “NC” are recorded in at least three consecutive semesters reaches or exceeds fifty percent (50%).
How much time should I expect to spend on coursework?

Unit Defined: One lecture hour and two hours of outside work throughout the semester ordinarily serve as a basis for one unit of credit. The number of hours required per semester unit of laboratory or other activity is approximately three, depending upon the character of the work. Thus, one semester credit hour of community college work should be approximately 48 hours of lecture, study, recitation, demonstration-discussion, and laboratory work or any combination thereof.

What’s the first day I have to log into my online class?
It’s critical that you log into your online course on the first day of classes. Your instructor needs to see that you are active and prepared to start work right away in order to avoid dropping you for non-attendance. You’ll find a link to Canvas, our course management system, in your student portal.