FERPA Guidelines for Distance Education Courses
General Guidelines for Faculty and Staff Related to FERPA:
- DO NOT display or post student grades or scores publicly in association with names, Social Security numbers, SRJC Student IDs, or other personal identifiers.
- DO NOT circulate printed class lists containing non-directory information (e.g. SRJC Student IDs) for purposes of taking attendance. Instead, use a blank "sign in" sheet.
- DO NOT put papers or lab reports containing student names, Social Security numbers, SRJC Student IDs, grades or other personal identifiers in publicly accessible places. Students must not have access to the scores and grades of others in the class.
- DO NOT share information from student education records, including grades or grade-point averages, with parents or others outside SRJC, including within letters of recommendation, without written permission from the student.
- DO NOT share information from student education records, including grades or grade-point averages, with other faculty or staff members of SRJC unless their official responsibilities identify their legitimate educational interest in that information for that student.
- DO NOT provide student directory information to any third party for commercial use or for solicitation of any product or service. SRJC does not provide mailing lists to third parties, even if those lists contain only directory information.
- DO NOT include the following information in the student's educational record: medical, psychiatric, or psychological reports, records from law enforcement officials on or off campus, or notes of a professional or staff person which are intended for that individual alone.
- DO NOT include the SRJC Student ID in the subject line of an email message or on any document mailed by postal mail where the SRJC Student ID is visible on the document or in a window envelope.
- DO refer requests for information from the education record or directory information of a student to Admissions and Records.
- DO keep any private records relating to individual students separate from their education records. Private records of instructional, supervisory and administrative personnel and ancillary educational personnel are to be kept in the sole possession of the maker and are not to be accessible or revealed to any other person, except a substitute instructor.
- DO use blind copies (bcc) when emailing groups of students.
Employees who would like to take the online FERPA training can take the following steps:
- Click on this link to Keenan Safe Colleges training platform: https://sonomaccd-keenan.safecolleges.com/saml/login
- Sign-in using your SSO login information (same as your portal access).
- Go to “View Library”
- Click on "Human Resources"
- Click on "FERPA: Confidentiality of Records"
- Begin training
- Provide FERPA certificate to your supervisor or attach to your request for SIS access with IT